Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Descent into……Crokinole?!?

Well it’s been awhile since I wrote but I hope to avoid that in the future by doing shorter articles. We’ll see how it goes.

My last blog was about my hopes for Descent, the yet to be determined ultimate dungeon crawl boardgame!


The Road to Legend expansion is supposed to make this game everything I ever wanted. Well I bought everything, the base game and all the expansions, plus the Road to Legend expansion. I have read through everything and I can say that the game sure looks great but I have not played it yet. Scott and I have been too busy with other games like Galaxy Trucker and Kingsburg. We have also been playing some Magic the Gathering since both Scott and I have been buying lots of cool pre-construct decks. Mostly we have avoided playing Descent because we have been busy breaking in some new players! Scott’s friend Brandon and my friend Jessica, have been joining us for few gaming sessions and learning the ropes. We have to start them slow and Descent would be a lot to deal with for first time players.

But the big thing that we have been focusing on right now is Crokinole!



Crokinole is an old dexterity game from the 1800s. It involves players taking turns flicking little wooden discs across a circular board and trying to get there discs as close to the center hole as possible, or, if your lucky, getting it into the hole for a GOAL!!! A goal is worth 20 points, and that’s a guaranteed 20 points. You can get other points if you can keep your discs on the board without them getting knocked off the board and falling into the outer ditch. It is difficult though because one of the main rules in Crokinole is that if your opponent has a disc on the board you have to try and hit it with your next shot. This usually results in your opponent getting his disc knocked into the ditch and if you are not careful and you overshoot, your disc might wind up next to his. At the end of the round when everyone has shot all 12 of their discs you give points for the discs that are left on the board dependant on what ring they are in; the outer ring is worth 5 points, the inner ring is worth 10 points, and the center ring is worth 15 points. As I mentioned earlier getting a disc into the hole in the very center is worth 20 points and you get those points immediately and remove your disc, your opponent can not take those 20 points away now, because your disc cannot be knocked off since it’s removed from the board. This obviously makes getting a goal very valuable. At the end of the round you take all the points awarded for that round and they cancel each other out and if a player still has points left after that they keep them and mark them down on the scoreboard. They you play another round. You keep going this way until someone passes 100 points and wins the game.

Scott and I have been playing a lot of Crokinole because he just bought a custom hand crafted board from the Hilinski Brothers. They make a lot of unique and beautiful boards and you can get one from their website at www.crokinoleworld.com. Scott ordered the Cat Balou board.


It’s a very nice board and blast to play on. Of course we just had to break it in, so needless to say we spent a lot of time last weekend doing so.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Ya know, one of these days you're gonna give a run for my money at crokinole! Hehehe! Maybe Jessica will be a natural at it and whoop my ass! Eeek! BTW, I met my asst. manager today and I spoke to her about doing the books once in a while so I can get some time away from the store! She's cool with it...so far!

Ed said...

Well, I would still Rather play Descent, Man I can't wait to play the new stuff for descent. Scott, don't forget, I have been practicing Crokinole since Christmas, I might actually beat you once Ha ha, well we will see anyway.

Good to read another post Mike, I have been watching for you guys to post but it has been awhile.

Ed said...

By the way, when summer hits and School is out, I am going to see about making a few trips down there. I want (MUST) get in some Descent gaming very soon!!!!!!!