Thursday, October 4, 2007

In The Spotlight

Well my friend Scott was in the spotlight recently when one of my co-workers here at KVEW TV, Amy Bouska, decided to do a story on our boardgaming for the KVEW website.

She came by on a Friday night when it was just me, Ed and Scott sitting down to play Thebes. Even though Amy felt kinda overwhelmed when Scott tried to teach her how to play and she ultimately ended up bowing out of the game, we all had fun and her video ended up great.


I think everyone reading this should go watch Amy’s video right NOW!
Click HERE to watch it.


OK are you done? It was pretty good huh? If you truly did watch it, you might have noticed that the main theme was centered around the fact that the kind of boardgames being discussed, the kind me and my friends play, are not what the typical American is used to. Amy made a hilarious display in pointing out that learning to play the games was intimidating and even confusing. This is the typical reaction we get whenever any of us Boardgame Geeks tries to teach someone that has only ever played the “standard” American boardgames, like Monopoly, Sorry, Chutes and Ladders, Scrabble, etc. etc. I have often wondered why people are so intimidated buy learning a boardgame like the ones we play. I know that people do buy the “standard” type American games, if they didn’t you wouldn’t see them in stores like Toys ‘R Us and Wal-Mart. But when it comes to learning the games that we play, especially the “Euro-Games” like Thebes, most people get kinda nervous and look like your asking them to do your taxes. After thinking about it a lot I think I might have stumbled upon part of the answer.

Most Americans are used to a fast paced lifestyle and they just feel like it takes too much time to learn things from scratch. I think that most people when they have to “learn” something use shortcuts. The shortcut that I am referring to is past learning association. If you have had to learn something somewhat new or complicated in the past, the next time you are put in a similar situation you try to match up what you are attempting to understand with something you have firmly grasped before. In applying that to boardgames, for example, if someone is teaching you a new game and they say something like “Ok, first you roll the dice and move the number of spaces indicated on the dice” you might instantly flash back to every other boardgame where you “rolled dice” and “moved the number of spaces indicated on the dice”, and that aspect of the new game would be completely natural to you and not intimidating at all, and it would make learning other less familiar aspects easier to swallow. It’s a totally natural way of learning and my friends and I do it too. Whenever one of us gets a new game and we sit down to learn it we see similarities all the time that make it easier to learn the new game. Even in these “complicated” games there are similarities especially in “Euro-Games”.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that the first time you are exposed to a new game it will seem intimidating because you have little if any frame of reference, but once you have be exposed to a new type of gaming it will get easier and easier every time you pick up a new game. So if you have never played these types of games before just give it a chance. Yes the first time will be hard but it will get easier and it will be worth it, you’ll see.

7 comments:

Scott said...

I have to admit it was very confusing for me in the early days too. Being raised on Monopoly, Battleship, Sorry, The Game of Life, etc,etc. But, I knew I needed something "more" from a game. I was bored with the old stuff mostly and craved something different. Being introduced to Axis and Allies ( which is in fact an old Milton Bradley game! )got me excited and wanting to see what else is out there. Honestly, if someone can understand Axis and Allies, you can grasp 95-98% of the current games we play! Easily! These games ( Euro or American style even ) are NOT as difficult as some may think. They are as easy to understand ( if not easier with some ) than ANY of the old school, American games! What I think is funny about the whole thing is how people approach a "Euro" game. If you think about it, there are TONS of new games coming out each year here in the states. Americans buy these American games with themes about Pirates, Super Heroes, Fantasy and such all the time. Germany ( and a few other countries )produce games with the same themes, but are better IMHO! But, as soon as they find out the game is from another country...BAM! They lack the confidence or interest in the game to even try it! It's frustrating! Just because a game is foreign ( literally in most cases! )does not make it hard. Geez! I have an easier time teaching kids our games 'cause they have no problems with exploring and trying new things! Their minds are open. Unfortunately, we adults are not so readily able to do this. Also, if the reason for not playing something out of the ordinary would make you feel like a geek...that's sad. I am SO glad that I took a step in another direction and explored new game horizons! I've turned my family and friends on to games that in some cases, they can't get enough of! No joke! Some have even bought copies of games themselves! What this all boils down to is the social interaction and the fun! If the majority of you out there are content with the oldies and play with your family and friends on a regular basis...that's AWESOME! Keep it up! BUT, if you EVER yearn for something new and exciting...look around! You may love what you find! Check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/
and
http://www.kidgameratings.com/
So get away from the TV and play!

Mike David said...

Nicely said! Here Here!

Scott said...

Thank ye!

Ed said...

ya know what, maybe we are labeled as geeks, but I really dont care, I even tell people that Im a geek when I tell them im a "gamer" it sure beats being a bar go'er to'er or whatever you call it.

Scott said...

I told Lynette that I'd ask you if you'd put a link for the Columbia Basin Boardgaming Society on on your blog site. She didn't ask BTW. I thought of it.

Scott said...

BTW Mike, thanks for the crappy snap shot of me! Amy's is funny too! I'm sure she got a kick out of that picture!

Mike David said...

You are very welcome!