Monday, November 5, 2007

RPGs and Me – Part 1 of 3: The Distant Past

No I’m not going to be talking about Rocket Propelled Grenades, I’m not some Wargammer. I’m talking about Role Playing Games, specifically Fantasy Role Playing Games. I have always been into Fantasy no matter what form it took whether it be a movie, book, TV show, or video game. But a RPG is a fantasy story that you get to interact in, you get to play the Hero, and your friends can be heroes too. Yet another friend can play the villains and set up obstacles for your heroes to overcome, it’s the ultimate way to enjoy a fantasy story.

My first exposure to the concept of interactive fantasy was, like most people, Dungeons and Dragons. Unlike most people though I was not introduced to it by a group of friends, I found it on my own, in this book;

The Monster Manual for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. I did not have any of the other rule books to learn how to play the game, and I was too young to figure it out anyway, but I remember leafing through the book and looking at all the monsters and understanding that they all had their own statistics and information that would be used in playing against your character. Even at that young age I was fascinated with the concept, actually playing a fantasy story where you face off against such strange and fearsome creatures.

I never actually got to play D&D until a few years later when I got the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules set.

Even though I could not get any friends together to play there was a “solo adventure” that played a lot like a choose your own adventure game. Remember the old Choose you own Adventure games?

Choose Your Own Adventure was about reading a story and making decisions that would effect what happened next in the story. The “solo adventure” in the D&D Basic Rules was aimed at giving you a “taste” of what playing a role playing game was like but was more complex then Choose Your Own Adventure in that you had statistics and skills for you character and you actually rolled dice for combating a monster and things like that. I really liked the Idea of a more complex Choose Your Own Adventure and I thought it would be so much fun if someone came out with a series of books like that. I especially liked the idea since I could not find anyone to play D&D with. That’s when I found the Lone Wolf series of books.

I loved these books and bought everyone I could get my hands on. You played the character of Lone Wolf the last of the Kai Lords, who must save his country from invasion by the Darklords of Helgedad who massacred all his kinsmen. When you successfully completed the first book you could then take your character’s powers and magic items into the second book and learn new skills and watch your character grow just like in D&D. There were 32 Lone Wolf books written, but only 24 were published here in the US and the last 8 were abridged and edited in such a way as to make some of the books unplayable if you made certain choices in the book. Also these books are now out of print. Gladly a few years back I stumbled upon this website called Project Aon. They are working, with the original Author’s blessing, to republish the full and corrected versions of these books on the web. I have even helped them out by transcribing some of my copies of the books. Lone Wolf was fun to play but it’s still not like playing a real RPG like D&D.

Eventually I did get to play D&D with some friends from school and it was fun but it felt like it was missing something. I never knew what until I discovered Pool of Radiance.

Pool of Radiance was the first in a series of Dungeons & Dragons games that you could play on your computer, I had the IBM version and I played it on my smoking fast 12 Mhz 286. There might have been RPG games on the computer before this but none were an actually D&D adventure like this. You could create up to 6 characters for your party and go questing in a very large computer generated world complete with overland, dungeon, and city maps that were presented to you in a simulated 3-D view window. You could also encounter monsters and other friendly characters and converse with them.

You could even get into combat and gain magic items and weaponry from your defeated foes. You would also gain experience points for all these deeds that would allow you to level up your characters and make them more powerful. When the whole adventure was done and you had defeated the big bad guy you could then take your powered up characters and transfer them into the next game in the series, “Curse of the Azure Bonds”. This was cutting edge at the time and really made you feel like you were playing D&D. There were 9 of these so called “Gold Box” games released and I bought them all as fast as SSI could make them. The thing that these games added that I felt was missing from the “pen and paper” D&D sessions I had played with my friends was the visual way of presenting the combat.

SSI or Strategic Simulations Incorporated, who made the games, started out as a software company with the goal of bringing strategic wargames to the PC. Since most of the wargames they were emulating were played with miniatures on a table with opponents taking turns moving and attacking with their pieces the combat in SSI’s games was very tactical and kinda felt like a boardgame, and their D&D games were no different. I personally loved this way of combat in D&D. To actually be able to visualize your characters position relative to obstructions like walls and doors and trees and other characters not only helped you but the other people you were playing with. I can’t tell you how many times I would play “pen & paper” D&D with a group of people where someone decides to cast a huge area of effect spell like a Fireball and ends up not only hurting the enemy but his comrades as well because he had “no idea they were that close”. Of coarse the DM wouldn’t be any help because he would not properly describe the area you were fighting in, and certainly not keep track in anyway where everyone was. This was because most of the people I played with thought of D&D as an interactive storytelling session, whereas I always wanted it to be a boardgame with hard and fast rules with and interactive story throw in.

After playing the SSI computer D&D games, “pen & paper” D&D was forever ruined for me. I would refuse to play with anyone unless we had some visual element to keep track of characters and monsters positions in combat, but back then miniatures were hard to find and expensive. I also insisted that the DM pay attention to the ranges and areas of effect for spells and weapons, none of them wanted to do that. I still wanted to find something that would allow for an RPG experience with my friends and me sitting around the table together. The SSI games were fun but I was playing them alone. I resolved myself to start looking for something that was more like a boardgame but had D&D like elements thrown in. I will talk about that in the next part of “RPG’s and Me”

8 comments:

Ed said...

I must say that I was always fascinated with D&D as well, I had no idea these books existed. All i know is that I played D&D one time with a friend and another guy who dM'S,and I was hooked, biut then the guy who was DM moved away and I never was able to play it again. I got a few of the books from the library and tried to learn how to play, but it was just too deep for me at the time. I'm pretty sure tho that that along with Risk and Stratego brought me to be the gamer I am now. I cant wait till we find a game that will fulfill this "dungeon crawl leveling up" game that I too have always longed for, perhaps Descent will become that game.

Ed said...

oh yeah, Mike, let me know when those loan wolf games are expected to be available.

Scott said...

That basic rules book is the same one I bought WAAAAAY back in '79 or '80! That brings back some memories! I remember taking it down to the fire dept.one night ( my dad was still working at that time ) and showing it to one of the guys up in the front office. He thought it was cool. In fact, he and I got on the computer there and played a game that was quite similar to D&D! I remember I was supposed to rescue a book from a vampire's castle or something like that. Anyhow, it was cool 'cause you had to use your imagination to get in to the game. You had to read things like: "Your standing in a dark and misty graveyard. To your left you see the castle looming in the distance. To your right you see open fields...". You get the drift. I was so in to it! Anyways, back to the book. I swear! I tried to understand it, but I couldn't! I gave up and got rid of the book and all the stuff that came with the set. My biggest problem I guess is I had no one else to work it out with. Let alone an experienced D&Der to walk me through it. What got me interested in it in the first place was the fact that Desert Hills had a D&D club and I wanted to check it out ( the game ). I heard the guys talking about the game at school and it sounded sweet! Looking back, I do regret not getting in to the game, but not a lot. God knows what I would've become if I had opened up that can of worms WAY back then! Whew! I'd be an uber geek today for sure! It's funny though. That basic rule book would probably be a walk in the park to me now!

Ed said...

Scott, you didnt happen to be playing that text based computer game called Zork did you? that is actually my first experience with a dungeon type game, It was like a choose your own adventure book, but on the computer (Commodore 64 to be exact)it was all text based, ad it would respond to typed commands like walk north, RUN, climb, Eat, just about any verb you can think of. I was hooked on that game for days. I actually have a copy of that game and its 3 sequels that work on windows.

Ed said...

by the way Mike, I meant to say Lone Wolf BOOKS, not GAMES. sorry my bad.

Scott said...

I don't know what the game was called, but it was all text based. Yep, you had to tell it to move north, south, yadda yadda yadda. Hehe. It was addicting! However, that was the one and only time I got to play it that night at the station. The game was actually part of the citie's computer network! The guys had access to games all the time. It was fun!

Mike David said...

You know, Zork and other text adventure games like it were an inspiration for the old Sierra Quest games like King's Quest and Space Quest. The guys that started Sierra wanted to make text adventures that had graphical representations of the area you were in, but you still had type things in like "look up" "get key" "use key" and stuff like that. Did any of youse guys play that stuff?

Ed said...

yes in fact, that cd i have with the 4 zork games also has about 30 other text based games, some of witch have "still graphics" for each area you are in, i was hooked on these games when i found them one day. i bought it because i remembered playing Zork back in the day.